I think I remember this situation and it was not at all related to the
BASE core, but to the web service api. Web service methods that doesn't
return a value could not return an error message either. There is a
ticket about this (http://base.thep.lu.se/ticket/862) but it should have
been fixed in BASE 2.5 and there are not many changes to the web service
code after this.

I don't know if your issue is related to this one, but your stacktrace
is containing 'RPCInOnlyMessageReceiver' which indicates that the method
doesn't return a value. As far as I know there should be no such methods
remaining in BASE... so I am a bit confused about what is causing the
error.

Can you post some code that reproduces the problem?

/Nicklas