Hi,

The procedure to upgrade from 1.2 to latest BASE is uncharted territory
for us. We switched from 1.2 when BASE 2.6 was current. One path forward
may be as outlined below. Each BASE 2 and newer distribution contains
upgrade instructions. Please read them.

Please report if you succeed and use the mailing list for further
assistance so we can share this experience with the community.

Good Luck,

Jari

0) Backup your precious data.

1) Upgrade to latest 1.2.x version, i.e., version 1.2.17b available from
http://base2.thep.lu.se/base1.2/

There are some notes regarding upgrading I found in the waybackmachine,
http://web.archive.org/web/20070210105058/http://base1.thep.lu.se/

Update from 1.2.17: Fixed compilation errors with gcc 4.0.
BASE 1.2.17: This release of BASE contains a number of minor fixes and
some somewhat bigger changes. If you are upgrading from an older
version, there are few things you need to do in addition to running the
database migration script:
- If you are using PHP 4.4.x, you have to make some changes to the files
in include/local (reporter_columns.inc.php and raw_columns.inc.php) to
get rid of warnings about assign-by-reference. If you haven't modified
these files, simply remove them from where you have installed BASE
before doing the 'make install', and they will be replaced by the newest
version. If you have modified them, you should instead replace all
occurences of "=&" with a plain "=".
- The disk quota system has been extended to cover not only uploads but
also experiments, raw data and other big things. For this to work the
disk usage of existing users must be calculated and stored. Do this by
running bin/refreshQuotaUsage.php before starting BASE after you've run
dbmigrate_1.2_to_latest.php. There's more info in the new admin guide
(in documentation/ and on the web site).
- When exporting data for plugins, files in the 'normal' BASEfile format
are now created from the serial format by an external program to reduce
the time it takes. The program requires a valid BASEfile, with a header
called 'section', and this could cause problems with some plugins whose
definitions do not have a hidden parameter called 'section'. Such
plugins need to be corrected.
- It has been made easier to add new patterns for merging four 96-well
plates into a 384-well plate. Changes to the PHP code are no longer
necessary for this. The description of how to do it can be found in a
couple of comments in plates.inc.php.

* PHP 5.0 has not yet been fully tested with BASE although it might
actually work.

2) Following the advice in
http://base.thep.lu.se/chrome/site/2.17/html/admindoc/installation_upgrade/installation_upgrade.migration.html

Upgrade then to BASE version 2.15.0 available for download from
http://base.thep.lu.se/wiki/DownloadOld

Read the migration program instructions carefully we haven't done that
for several years ourselves. The migration may take long time.

3) Upgrade to latest BASE 2 version, 2.17.2 available from
http://base.thep.lu.se/wiki/DownloadPage

4) Finally, upgrade to latest BASE 3 version 3.2.2 available at