Dear Mark,

I'm sorry to tell you that the boundary matcher \b is not officially
supported by XQuery [1,2]; this is why it is not supported anymore by
the latest version of BaseX. If you want to have this feature provided
in XQuery 3.0 or a future version, you are invited to submit a small
feature request in the W3 Issue Tracker [3].

All the best,
Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#regex-syntax
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#regexs