Hi,

in terms of performance, is it cheaper to update the value of an existing node
or to insert a node with that value?

I'm not sure if I should create empty nodes or nodes with a default-value in
the first place and when users specify values these nodes will be updated.  Or
if I insert nodes with these values when users specify them in the web
interface. Values are short texts like "yes" or "no".

The value of the one node I have to update in any case is a longer text with
some markup in it (for highlighting purposes of single tokens).

UPDINDEX for the DB is set and I will have to optimize the index after each
user interaction, because I need the fulltext index in the next interaction. So
the options are actually these:

- insert 6 nodes, replace value of 1 node, optimize
- replace values of 7 nodes, optimize

Thanks in advance and best regards

Cerstin
--
Dr. phil. Cerstin Mahlow

Universität Basel
Departement Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften
Fachbereich Deutsche Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft
Nadelberg 4
4051 Basel
Schweiz

Tel:  +41 61 267 07 65