Hi Gary,

Maybe you should wait for BaseX team members advises over this topic.

Telling from my own experience, I can remember also having met some problem
trying to insert 20 Gb of data into BaseX through the GUI.

I had to achieve this into smaller steps, using batch commands (see
http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Commands), in order to free memory. i.e. I first
inserted the xml into 4 or 5 passes. Then created some indexes, etc...In
that way it was possible to run the insertion, even with 4Gb machines.

Hope this helps

Jean-Marc