Tried to make a small example but then things worked the same, so reindexed
the database (no language and no stemming) and found this. It seems that it
has to to with character encoding.

RESTXQ finds hits for "føre" as "fore" while REST treats it as "føre" so
the outputs are like this

REST output (2 first lines):
   føre
   fø - re 219

RESTXQ
   føre
   fo - re 123

The first word quoted is "føre" in both cases and is what the scripts see,
so the full text is given the same in both cases. Could it be that within
RESTXQ the full text index is treated differently?

I will work closer on a  self contained example, but thought this might
point to something.

Cheers
Lars