A more convenient way (at least for Java amateurs like myself) might be
to set up a RESTXQ service in BaseX and to query it using plain
fn:doc(''). At least this works for GET requests. If you need to post
something, you’ll probably need the EXPath HTTP client library [1] that
doesn’t ship with Saxon yet, apart from Florent Georges’ patch [2].

Gerrit

[1] http://expath.org/modules/http-client/
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/expath/PKl27uQndng

--
Gerrit Imsieke
Geschäftsführer / Managing Director

Geschäftsführer: Gerrit Imsieke, Svea Jelonek,
Thomas Schmidt, Dr. Reinhard Vöckler