Hello -

I've got a problem I'm not sure how to best approach.

I've got triplets of names -- class.operation.specifier -- that I need to
match against much longer sequences of names. (Which are in attributes in
an XML hierarchy; each sequence of names derives from a path to a leaf
element.)

If there is a match (as there usually is not) one of the names in the
sequence of names will match to the class, a subsequent name to the
operation,  and a name subsequent to that match to the specifier. (All
simple string values.)

The naive n^2 version is much too slow for the amount of data involved.

Is there an efficient way to do this kind of matching?

Thanks!
Graydon