No problem! I am just asking because large results in the query will
first be cached before they are displayed in the GUI. On command-line,
single items will be iteratively output as soon as possible. As a
consequence, outputting zour 900,000 rows shouldn’t cause additional
overhead on command-line, but it will increase memory consumption in
the GUI.

Hope this helps,
C.
Thanks, that explains the memory consumption and the delay (about 8 seconds) while outputing to the GUI window. So If I get it right, when I use [position() = 1 to 100], only the first 100 results are calculated? or all 900.000 rows are calculated, and I get the first 100 results? (imagine it is a complex query)

(for $x in $xml//something-complex[complex-xpath]
let $y := another-complex-function()
where (another-complex-comparison)
return
<parent>