Many thanks, this makes sense.

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Liam R. E. Quin [mailto:l...@w3.org]
Sent: 05 August 2017 21:06
To: Thomas Daly; basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
Subject: Re: [basex-talk] GUI

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 16:52 +0100, Thomas Daly wrote:

> a)      It is not possible to log into a BaseX database running on a
> remote server from a GUI running on a different machine?

You can probably also do it the other way round, setting DISPLAY and running
BaseX on the server system with its display pointing to your system, e.g, using
an ssh tunnel so you don't need to expose your system to the raw Internet. See
e.g. https://askubuntu.com/questions/20
3173/run-application-on-local-machine-and-show-gui-on-remote-display
for using ssh -X or -Y to the server. You have to arrange for your X server to
listen for remote connections I think.

> b)      Do I need any particular Linux distribution / GUI version to
> run the BaseX Linux GUI?

No. I use Mageia Linux under Gnome 3, but as Christian said, you just need Java.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/ Staff contact for Verifiable
Claims WG, XQuery WG