> On 13. Sep 2017, at 11:28, Steinhauer, Dorothea
> <dorothea.steinha...@proalpha.de> wrote:
>
>>> On 13. Sep 2017, at 10:06, Steinhauer, Dorothea
>>> <dorothea.steinha...@proalpha.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we use BaseX 7.9 and we have the problem that in some (non-replicable)
>>> situations no more data is written to the database.
>>> The database is still readable.
>>> Logfiles are currently not available.
>>>
>>> If the problem is known, can changes to properties help?
>>>
>>> For us, it is not an option to switch to a newer version of the baseX-DB
>>> because API changes would be a huge effort.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Dorothea
>>
>> I think, you would have to detect the pattern that leads to the unwanted
>> behaviour.
>> Maybe the documentation on Transaction Management [1] can help to reason
>> about the problem?
>>
>> By the way, what do you mean with 'no more data is written to the database'.
>>  Never ever again after some situation or during a phase (and later on it
>> possible again)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>      Alex
>>
>> [1] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Transaction_Management#Concurrency_Control
>

> Hi,
>
> we use the database in production, so we can't wait if anything changed. You
> wanted to know with the question whether the database is permanently locked?

I have problems to understand what 'no more data is written to the database'
actually means.
- Is it there a permanent write-lock on the database?
- Or is the database corrupt after a write operation?
- Or can't you write at some point in time and then, at later point, once again
write to the database?

> When the database is "write-locking", is it possible to back up our data?

When a write operation alters the database you can not read (or write) the
database [1], so a regular backup is not possible.

What you nevertheless can do, is, on the OS-level and only for debugging and
failure analysis, copy the database directory to another location and, for
instance, inspect [2] the state of the database.

Perhaps you can elaborate a bit on your whole scenario. How does your
application operate? What do you do, if you encounter a situation in which you
can not write to the database? Can you make a guess what is happening in your
application when the situation occurs?

Cheers,

[2] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Commands#INSPECT