Hi again,
your words put me on the right way. My doubt was how to pass the information to the http module send-request functon. After some investigation I've found out that it may be done by setting some env variables through -D in the startup scripts pointing to server and client certificates put in proper keystore and truststore. At this point http:send-request will transparently use the mutual certificate exchange without any fiddling with Java code!
That's absolutely great!

Now I'm very close to the final solution and just need to relax the default hostname verifier. Anyone already did this with basex?

Thanks again for everything.
Marco.

[1] java -cp "$CP" -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/path/to/keystore.p12 -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=thepass -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStoreType=PKCS12 -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/path/to/trustsotre.jks -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=thepass $BASEX_JVM org.basex.BaseXGUI "$@"