Now I am very confused: What does "BaseX database version 7.3.1 (old database) 
via Java application with BaseX version 8.6.7." even mean? How can you access a 
newer BaseX version with some older BaseX version? Sorry, but this doesn't make 
any sense to me.
Could you please simple open the BaseX GUI and open your database and run the 

Also, as I said I think it doesn't make any sense to focus on this old database 
version anymore. Keep in mind that BaseX 7.3 is (I had to look this up...) from 
June 2012 and hasn't been supported for years.

So, to move on from this, you need to provide the following (in general) for 
people to be able to help you:

-      Your input XML (using BaseX 8.6.7)

-      You query (you already showed this, so not needed anymore)

-      The actual result (you already showed this, so nothing to do)

-      The expected result and how it differs from what you expect


Von: Bang Pham Huu []
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 11:19
An: Kirsten, Dirk <>;
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 7.3.1 
and 8.6.7 ?

Thanks for your detail answer.

What I gave to you is an exported output of BaseX database version 7.3.1 (old 
database) via Java application with BaseX version 8.6.7. I tried to export with 
BaseX version 7.3.1 with same db:export() XQuery, but it returns error

db:export("userdb", "/home/mascalan/", map { 'method': 'xml' })
Error when querying BaseX database 'Failed at querying the database, detail: 
Stopped at line 1, column 45: [XPST0003] Invalid key, simple expression 
expected. Check collection name and version are valid first.'.

I think if I could export to you the XML of old database by BaseX version 
7.3.1, you could see the
http://localhost:8080/def/crs/OGC/0/_Temporal_template in the XML file which 
BaseX version 8.6.7 couldn't find to export (?)

On 02/02/2018 11:02 AM, Kirsten, Dirk wrote:

well, the XQuery might be the same, but because you certainly use different 
BaseX instances they might use different properties (i.e. point to a different 
BaseX storage). At least for the examples you provide here it simply doesn't 
add up. To make it clear: You say the result on the right is with the old BaseX 
version. One of the results is the string 
http://localhost:8080/def/crs/OGC/0/_Temporal_template. However, the string 
does simply not appear in your input XML. So, where does the difference come 

Maybe it would be easier to simply forget about the old version and instead you 
could describe what results you are missing from the 8.6.7 vcersion? (you said 
data is missing)? I can hardly imagine that something is really missing in this 

However, what certainly has improved (and thus: changed) with BaseX 8 (I think) 
is the serialization. It uses the adaptive serialization by default, which uses 
newlines as separators when serialiazing. However, you can switch to any other 
serialization method quite easily and use the old default xml by issueing 
"declare option output:method "xml"; in the query prolog.


Von: Bang Pham Huu []
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 10:08
An: Kirsten, Dirk <><>;<>
Betreff: Re: AW: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 7.3.1 and 
8.6.7 ?

Yes, I'm sure I tested with old database from version 7.3.1 for both versions 
(7.3.1 and 8.6.7). Please see the exported XML from this database here:

with this XQuery: db:export("userdb", "./userdb", map { 'method': 'xml' })

At least I can see that query in version 7.3.1 doesn't return "new line 
character \n" as in 8.6.7 but an empty space " ".


On 02/02/2018 09:46 AM, Kirsten, Dirk wrote:

are you sure you are querying the same collection? I am quite confused by your 
different outputs, because they seem to have not much in common (the results on 
the left almost exclusively return URIs pointing to and the one on 
the right to localhost:8080?

If you are sure it would most certainly be helpful if you provide the input XML.

Also, looking at your query I don't really get why you write it that way, e.g. 
"for $i in $x return $i" is identical as simply "$x"...


Senacor Technologies Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Eschborn - Amtsgericht 
Frankfurt am Main - Reg.-Nr.: HRB 105546
Vorstand: Matthias Tomann, Marcus Purzer - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Daniel 
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
 [] Im Auftrag von Bang Pham 
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 08:45
Betreff: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 7.3.1 and 8.6.7 ?


I've been using BaseX to query an XML file in version 7.3.1 and it worked well. 
However, because of this problem
and I was suggested to use version 8.6.7 then I changed to use this version in 
a Java Web application which queries the old BaseX files from version 7.3.1.

However, I didn't know that this version changes created a very surprise result 
between version 7.3.1 and 8.6.7 (i.e: data is missing in version
8.6.7 from output result !!!).

Could someone tell me why it happens and how to use BaseX version 8.6.7 on 
BaseX database from version 7.3.1.

Here is the difference between 2 outputs on same old BaseX database version 
7.3.1 (left: 8.6.7, right: 7.3.1) with same XQuery:

The XQuery is:

 declare namespace gml = "";;
 declare function local:get-children() {
 let $x := collection('userdb')//gml:identifier/text()
      if (exists($x)) then
           for $i in $x
                return $i
      else <empty/>

  let $x := distinct-values(local:get-children())
  for $i in $x return $i


Reply via email to