Hi Bang,

The general answer on your initial question: BaseX is
backward-compatible. Older databases can be opened and queried with
newer versions of BaseX.

This seems to conflict with the experiences you made. But I agree with
Dirk: It’s difficult to understand what is going wrong in your testing
environment. It’s not possible to tell why a query should yield
results that is not contained in the data you provide.

Maybe you could try to proceed step by step and give feedback:

1. Export the database with BaseX 7.3.1. Note that you cannot use all
the BaseX 8.x syntax with older versions of the software. Please check
out our documentation history to learn how to proceed [1].
2. Export the same database with BaseX 8.x.
3. Compare the resulting output.

If the output of BaseX 7 and 8 differs, then:

4. Ensure that your database directories are really identical.
5. Report back to us which output you believe is correct: If the
output of BaseX 7.x is wrong, it may even be due to a bug in the old
version, or due to some corrupt data that can successfully restored by
BaseX 8. If the output of BaseX 8.x is wrong, tell us what is missing.

If the output is identical, then:

4. Create a new database from this data with BaseX 8.x.
5. Run your query and compare the results.

Best,
Christian

[1] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Documentation