Hi Bang, you might need to spend some more time on BaseX itself. As it
would take too much time to give you all relevant information here on
the list, I recommend you to begin with the Getting Started section in
the documentation, learn what the database directory is, where it is
located in the downloaded ZIP distribution and so on and so forth.



On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Bang Pham Huu
<b.pham...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> Yes, I opened the document
> (http://files.basex.org/releases/7.3/BaseX73.pdf) and it said "EXPORT
> writes all resources to the specified target directory • GUI: Go to
> Database → Export, choose the target directory and press OK".
>
> But as the BaseX GUI tool cannot open .basex file as database (that is
> why I asked you by listing all the files I have) so the export button in
> drop down database menu is disable.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> On 02/02/2018 01:56 PM, Christian Grün wrote:
>> Have you found and opened the documentation PDF for BaseX 7.3? Looking
>> for the term "export" should give you some hints.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christian
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Bang Pham Huu
>> <b.pham...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Christian,
>>>
>>> I'd do as your suggestion, but I'm stuck with how to export old database
>>> to XML file. I only have these files (no XML):
>>>
>>> atv.basex   atvr.basex  tbl.basex   txt.basex   txtr.basex
>>> atvl.basex  inf.basex   tbli.basex  txtl.basex
>>>
>>> and from your link, I tried to download BaseX GUI application
>>> http://files.basex.org/releases/7.3/BaseX73.jar. But this tool seems can
>>> open from XML file only. How can I open these .basex file and convert
>>> to  a XML file?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>
>>> On 02/02/2018 12:55 PM, Christian Grün wrote:
>>>> Hi Bang,
>>>>
>>>> The general answer on your initial question: BaseX is
>>>> backward-compatible. Older databases can be opened and queried with
>>>> newer versions of BaseX.
>>>>
>>>> This seems to conflict with the experiences you made. But I agree with
>>>> Dirk: It’s difficult to understand what is going wrong in your testing
>>>> environment. It’s not possible to tell why a query should yield
>>>> results that is not contained in the data you provide.
>>>>
>>>> Maybe you could try to proceed step by step and give feedback:
>>>>
>>>> 1. Export the database with BaseX 7.3.1. Note that you cannot use all
>>>> the BaseX 8.x syntax with older versions of the software. Please check
>>>> out our documentation history to learn how to proceed [1].
>>>> 2. Export the same database with BaseX 8.x.
>>>> 3. Compare the resulting output.
>>>>
>>>> If the output of BaseX 7 and 8 differs, then:
>>>>
>>>> 4. Ensure that your database directories are really identical.
>>>> 5. Report back to us which output you believe is correct: If the
>>>> output of BaseX 7.x is wrong, it may even be due to a bug in the old
>>>> version, or due to some corrupt data that can successfully restored by
>>>> BaseX 8. If the output of BaseX 8.x is wrong, tell us what is missing.
>>>>
>>>> If the output is identical, then:
>>>>
>>>> 4. Create a new database from this data with BaseX 8.x.
>>>> 5. Run your query and compare the results.
>>>>
>>>> Best,
>>>> Christian
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Documentation
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:48 AM, Bang Pham Huu
>>>> <b.pham...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
>>>>> What I tried to say is: I'm using input (old database) which has lot of
>>>>> modifications since version 7.3.1 and I could use this database for both
>>>>> applications (BaseX 8.6.7 and BaseX 7.3.1 on different systems). But
>>>>> application in 8.6.7 can export database (with some missing data),
>>>>> application in 7.3.1 cannot export database (error).
>>>>>
>>>>> If it is hard to understand, sorry about it. I shouldn't have asked this
>>>>> question if one database is queried with same queries on both version 
>>>>> BaseX
>>>>> 8.6.7 and BaseX 7.3.1 could return different results.
>>>>>
>>>>> So, now, actually I couldn't provide you a valid test input ("Your input 
>>>>> XML
>>>>> (using BaseX 8.6.7)") because as you saw that in exported db from an
>>>>> application using BaseX 8.6.7 on this olddatabase, the data is missing and
>>>>> you questioned about it.
>>>>>
>>>>> "The expected result and how it differs from what you expect", I'd say it
>>>>> should be the same from application using BaseX version 7.3.1 as my first
>>>>> email (it can be replaced from "\n" to " ", it is ok).
>>>>>
>>>>> I asked because I just want to confirm there was no big change from
>>>>> application using BaseX version 7.3.1 to application using BaseX version
>>>>> 8.6.7 on old database. But the outputs are different that got me confused.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 02/02/2018 11:35 AM, Kirsten, Dirk wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Now I am very confused: What does “BaseX database version 7.3.1 (old
>>>>> database) via Java application with BaseX version 8.6.7.” even mean? How 
>>>>> can
>>>>> you access a newer BaseX version with some older BaseX version? Sorry, but
>>>>> this doesn’t make any sense to me.
>>>>>
>>>>> Could you please simple open the BaseX GUI and open your database and run
>>>>> the XQuery?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Also, as I said I think it doesn’t make any sense to focus on this old
>>>>> database version anymore. Keep in mind that BaseX 7.3 is (I had to look 
>>>>> this
>>>>> up…) from June 2012 and hasn’t been supported for years.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> So, to move on from this, you need to provide the following (in general) 
>>>>> for
>>>>> people to be able to help you:
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -      Your input XML (using BaseX 8.6.7)
>>>>>
>>>>> -      You query (you already showed this, so not needed anymore)
>>>>>
>>>>> -      The actual result (you already showed this, so nothing to do)
>>>>>
>>>>> -      The expected result and how it differs from what you expect
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers
>>>>>
>>>>> Dirk
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Von: Bang Pham Huu [mailto:b.pham...@jacobs-university.de]
>>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 11:19
>>>>> An: Kirsten, Dirk <dirk.kirs...@senacor.com>;
>>>>> basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
>>>>> Betreff: Re: AW: AW: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 
>>>>> 7.3.1
>>>>> and 8.6.7 ?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for your detail answer.
>>>>>
>>>>> What I gave to you is an exported output of BaseX database version 7.3.1
>>>>> (old database) via Java application with BaseX version 8.6.7. I tried to
>>>>> export with BaseX version 7.3.1 with same db:export() XQuery, but it 
>>>>> returns
>>>>> error
>>>>>
>>>>> db:export("userdb", "/home/mascalan/", map { 'method': 'xml' })
>>>>> Error when querying BaseX database 'Failed at querying the database, 
>>>>> detail:
>>>>> Stopped at line 1, column 45: [XPST0003] Invalid key, simple expression
>>>>> expected. Check collection name and version are valid first.'.
>>>>>
>>>>> I think if I could export to you the XML of old database by BaseX version
>>>>> 7.3.1, you could see the
>>>>> http://localhost:8080/def/crs/OGC/0/_Temporal_template in the XML file 
>>>>> which
>>>>> BaseX version 8.6.7 couldn't find to export (?)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 02/02/2018 11:02 AM, Kirsten, Dirk wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> well, the XQuery might be the same, but because you certainly use 
>>>>> different
>>>>> BaseX instances they might use different properties (i.e. point to a
>>>>> different BaseX storage). At least for the examples you provide here it
>>>>> simply doesn’t add up. To make it clear: You say the result on the right 
>>>>> is
>>>>> with the old BaseX version. One of the results is the string
>>>>> http://localhost:8080/def/crs/OGC/0/_Temporal_template. However, the 
>>>>> string
>>>>> does simply not appear in your input XML. So, where does the difference 
>>>>> come
>>>>> from?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Maybe it would be easier to simply forget about the old version and 
>>>>> instead
>>>>> you could describe what results you are missing from the 8.6.7 vcersion?
>>>>> (you said data is missing)? I can hardly imagine that something is really
>>>>> missing in this case.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> However, what certainly has improved (and thus: changed) with BaseX 8 (I
>>>>> think) is the serialization. It uses the adaptive serialization by 
>>>>> default,
>>>>> which uses newlines as separators when serialiazing. However, you can 
>>>>> switch
>>>>> to any other serialization method quite easily and use the old default xml
>>>>> by issueing “declare option output:method “xml”; in the query prolog.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers
>>>>>
>>>>> Dirk
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Von: Bang Pham Huu [mailto:b.pham...@jacobs-university.de]
>>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 10:08
>>>>> An: Kirsten, Dirk <dirk.kirs...@senacor.com>;
>>>>> basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
>>>>> Betreff: Re: AW: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 7.3.1 
>>>>> and
>>>>> 8.6.7 ?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Yes, I'm sure I tested with old database from version 7.3.1 for both
>>>>> versions (7.3.1 and 8.6.7). Please see the exported XML from this database
>>>>> here: https://pastebin.com/ZjkFrE7B
>>>>>
>>>>> with this XQuery: db:export("userdb", "./userdb", map { 'method': 'xml' })
>>>>>
>>>>> At least I can see that query in version 7.3.1 doesn't return "new line
>>>>> character \n" as in 8.6.7 but an empty space " ".
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 02/02/2018 09:46 AM, Kirsten, Dirk wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hallo,
>>>>>
>>>>> are you sure you are querying the same collection? I am quite confused by
>>>>> your different outputs, because they seem to have not much in common (the
>>>>> results on the left almost exclusively return URIs pointing to opengis.net
>>>>> and the one on the right to localhost:8080?
>>>>>
>>>>> If you are sure it would most certainly be helpful if you provide the 
>>>>> input
>>>>> XML.
>>>>>
>>>>> Also, looking at your query I don't really get why you write it that way,
>>>>> e.g. "for $i in $x return $i" is identical as simply "$x"...
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers
>>>>> Dirk
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Senacor Technologies Aktiengesellschaft - Sitz: Eschborn - Amtsgericht
>>>>> Frankfurt am Main - Reg.-Nr.: HRB 105546
>>>>> Vorstand: Matthias Tomann, Marcus Purzer - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: 
>>>>> Daniel
>>>>> Grözinger
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
>>>>> Von: basex-talk-boun...@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
>>>>> [mailto:basex-talk-boun...@mailman.uni-konstanz.de] Im Auftrag von Bang 
>>>>> Pham
>>>>> Huu
>>>>> Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Februar 2018 08:45
>>>>> An: basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de
>>>>> Betreff: [basex-talk] Big Surprise from outputs in version 7.3.1 and 
>>>>> 8.6.7 ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> I've been using BaseX to query an XML file in version 7.3.1 and it worked
>>>>> well. However, because of this problem
>>>>> https://www.mail-archive.com/basex-talk@mailman.uni-konstanz.de/msg10241.html
>>>>> and I was suggested to use version 8.6.7 then I changed to use this 
>>>>> version
>>>>> in a Java Web application which queries the old BaseX files from version
>>>>> 7.3.1.
>>>>>
>>>>> However, I didn't know that this version changes created a very surprise
>>>>> result between version 7.3.1 and 8.6.7 (i.e: data is missing in version
>>>>> 8.6.7 from output result !!!).
>>>>>
>>>>> Could someone tell me why it happens and how to use BaseX version 8.6.7 on
>>>>> BaseX database from version 7.3.1.
>>>>>
>>>>> Here is the difference between 2 outputs on same old BaseX database 
>>>>> version
>>>>> 7.3.1 (left: 8.6.7, right: 7.3.1) with same XQuery:
>>>>> https://www.diffchecker.com/iCgLhRUx
>>>>>
>>>>> The XQuery is:
>>>>>
>>>>>  declare namespace gml = "http://www.opengis.net/gml/3.2";;
>>>>>  declare function local:get-children() {
>>>>>  let $x := collection('userdb')//gml:identifier/text()
>>>>>  return
>>>>>       if (exists($x)) then
>>>>>            for $i in $x
>>>>>                 return $i
>>>>>       else <empty/>
>>>>>  };
>>>>>
>>>>>   let $x := distinct-values(local:get-children())
>>>>>   for $i in $x return $i
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>

Reply via email to