Bridger,

Indeed the file was exported from Excel in UTF-8 encoding. I've tried opening 
the CSV file using Notepad/Wordpad and in Linux with vi in a terminal and in 
both situations it displays the correct special character.

Its only when I load it into a BaseX db and query it does it show itself, as 
you said, as "mangled". Saving the results into a text file also contains the 
"mangled" string.

Strange.

Bit

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On May 18, 2018 9:21 AM, Bridger Dyson-Smith <bdysonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bit -
> that's odd; it looks like the characters are being decomposed (or whatever 
> the term is) and mangled but I'm not sure, unfortunately. Was the CSV an 
> export from Excel? If so, I suppose this could be a Windows character set 
> problem (cp-1252 or iso-8859-1 or something?).
>
> Bridger
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 9:11 PM BitRider001 <bit.rider....@pm.me> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bridger,
>>
>> Yes that is right. I'm on the latest (9.0.1). Attaching a screenshot here 
>> for anyone to take a look.
>>
>> Bit
>>
>> ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
>> On May 18, 2018 8:41 AM, Bridger Dyson-Smith <bdysonsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bit - are you using the latest version? There was a problem with 9.0 and 
>>> some Unicode characters. Christian and co. have a fix in v9.0.1.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Bridger
>>>
>>> On Thu, May 17, 2018, 7:54 PM BitRider001 <bit.rider....@pm.me> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I just joined the mailing list due to a problem I'm having displaying and 
>>>> storing special characters.
>>>>
>>>> I started with a CSV and created a database from it and the CSV is in 
>>>> UTF-8. However, when I query the special characters become garbled. I'm 
>>>> using the GUI in Windows 10.
>>>>
>>>> It starts with this in the CSV:
>>>> <name>Cañelas</name>
>>>>
>>>> Then ends up with this when I export the query result into a text file:
>>>> <name>Ca�las</name>
>>>>
>>>> Help please.
>>>>
>>>> Bit

Reply via email to