Hi Hugh,

The second version where you specify the serialization options in XQuery works for me (BaseX GUI 8.6.5 with Saxon PE 9.6.0.7):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss xmlns="http://backend.userland.com/rss2"; xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"; version="2.0">
  <content:encoded><![CDATA[hi]]></content:encoded>
  <content:encoded><![CDATA[howdy]]></content:encoded>
  <content:encoded/>
</rss>

The first version cannot generate CDATA sections since the XSLT processor is not serializing anything; it’s the XQuery processor that serializes the result.

The error that you are seeing, XPST0081, would be generated if there were no namespace declaration for the prefix 'content', maybe caused by an indistinguishable look-alike non-ASCII character in 'content'. Doesn’t seem to be the case. Maybe this is a bug that is specific to BaseX 9?

Gerrit