Omar Siam wrote:
> Using the java regular expression implementation you can use greedy
> and some other things. The XSL and XQuery implementation according to
> the standards does not allow this and so misinterpretes the regular
> expression. See here:

I checked

> https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions-31/#regex-syntax

and also the https://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#regexs but did not find
any mention of greediness. But then, I am not sure, whether I understood
this from latter document:

    A ·regular expression· R is a sequence of characters that denote a
    set of strings  L(R). When used to constrain a ·lexical space·, a
    regular expression  R asserts that only strings in L(R) are valid
    literals for values of that type.

For all ·atom·s S and non-negative integers n, m such that n <= m, valid
·piece·s R are:
        Denoting the set of strings L(R) containing:
S?
        the empty string, and all strings in L(S).

Now I am not quite sure what L(S) means.

> You can tell Saxon to use a different regexp engine such as the
> standard Java one:
> https://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/functions/fn/matches.html

The hint is much appreciated, though BaseX is my actual development
target. I just mentioned Saxon and eXist, because I cross checked them
and found the result to be interesting enough to be taken to the list
(and still hope, that Christian chimes in and may find a good reason, to
do it the other way around in opposition to the way it is now)

--
Goody Bye, Minden jót, Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Andreas Mixich