You can also increase the JVM stack size for the BaseX GUI.
Example, if you are on Linux go to the BaseX bin directory, edit the basexgui file, and change these lines

# Options for virtual machine (can be extended by global options)
BASEX_JVM="-Xmx6g -Xss4m $BASEX_JVM"

There isn't really a specific number you need to use. The default is 1MB on a 64bit PC.
More information about Xss JVM flag on [1]

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3700459/how-to-increase-the-java-stack-size