Hi Andreas -
I'm not sure (way outside of my wheelhouse :), but I think because
arbitrary serialization can generate invalid XML, so having a character map
makes the possible invalidity explicit?
Now that I've typed that, I'm not sure if that captures the rational or
not. :) In any case, here's what the specifications have to say[1].

Best,
Bridger

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-xquery-serialization-31/#character-maps