Re. Editor support
I hope you all understand my biggest issue is mostly with not wanting to
learn a whole new set of keys only to switch back when I'm doing my day
job. I do use the BaseX gui if I'm trying something new.

I used to use a plug-in with Marklogic that allowed Eclipse XQuery
development. Unfortunately the instructions linked to on the web site do
not result in a BaseX data source, only ExistDB. I'm not sure if at some
point the support was dropped.

Re. The security: If you were providing a web site with
sensitive information stored in BaseX, not CC type stuff wherein a token
could be used, would you trust the security inherit in BaseX?  Sorry to
ask, this just isn't my area of expertise.

This has to be one of my most favorite open source products.

Thanks and Regards,
Ben