Hi Jonathan,
we as a company have used Nubisware for several "front-facing" applications. They are not exactly ecommerce but full blown enterprise applications with complex UIs and/or based on APIs.

 * A rating service (with dedicated UI) based on contract ontologies;
 * a system for remote realtime monitoring and failure prediction in
   industrial settings with a websocket push based interface [1,2]
 * An API and viewer/simulator for IHE XDW based clinical workflow
   tracking integrated with the Camunda BPMN Engine
 * A Psychological Patient Record with web based frontend
 * A frontend plus service orchestrator for the daily management of a
   Coworking site.
 * ...

We are very happy of the results and our customers too (which is much more important). What our customers like the most, about XQuery/BaseX based solutions, is the very low footprint and impact on their infrastructures and deployments.
M.

[1] https://www.linkedin.com/posts/global-solutions-%26-services_shortendistances-savecosts-customersatisfaction-activity-6678200998059683840-bedJ [2] https://www.linkedin.com/posts/global-solutions-%26-services_shortendistances-savecosts-customersatisfaction-activity-6673859515550715905-21GS