Hi,

I have no idea if it is used by others, but last march my most recent
version of my RbaseX library was accepted by CRAN. To my knowledge there
are no errors (all tests are passed). The only problem is that
performance is bad ;-(. Uploading a file or downloading the result from
a query can take several minutes.
I can understand why it takes so long. According to the server protocol,
the end of a stream is indicated by a terminating 0-byte. And to
distinguish a 'regular' 0-byte in a binary stream from the stop-0,
0-bytes (and FF-bytes) are preceded by an extra FF-byte. The only way to
deal in R with these FF-byte was to proces each character/byte
separately and that takes much time.

I am trying to speed up everything by using C++ for all direct
read/write operations. But I never have worked with C++ before. And
neither do I understand exactly how streams are to be used.
According to some posts on internet, when reading from a stream the
first 8 bytes are used to pass information on the length of the stream.

My question is if this a standard way to pass information on that
length? Or is it specific to C++ or Java?

Ben