Hi Christian,

R provides a package which makes it rather easy to use C++ code. That is
why I focused on C++.
I first tried to understand the BaseXCPPAPI as provided by Jean-Marc
Mercier but for a complete novice on C++, that code was way too
complicated for an old man like me (I'm retiring TODAY ;-)).
The C-code from Alexander Holupirek is much easier to understand and for
the moment I'm trying to convert his code to a C++-variant that can be
both used by my RbaseX and a new C++-client.

Usually, I first experiment in the GUI to learn which statements I have
to use for a query. After that I use the same statements in my client. I
noticed that often execution in the GUI only took miliseconds while
execution in the client could take minutes (depending on the size of the
input or the results). It is my guess that this boiles down to
read/write operations on the connection.

In R, I have isolated all actions upon the stream into one R-class. And
my first goal is to create a C++ class that is functionally equivalent.
Hopefully that will improve performance.
If I manage in that, I am halfways into building a C++ client that
offers the same functionality as my RbaseX-client. Who knows If I'll
succeed in that ;-) .

Cheers,
Ben