I've encountered a problem using xslt:transform in to transform some old XML
that contains a DTD DOCTYPE system literal pointing to a non-working URI and
also uses ENTITYREF attributes to refer to image files. I have the XML Catalog
configured correctly using CATFILE. The XSLT is using unparsed-entity-uri() to
convert the ENTITYREF into a file name for an href attribute. I've tested the
XSLT and the XML Catalog in oXygen and in XSpec, so I know they work. I've
tried a few alternatives to get this to work in BaseX and have not arrived at a
working solution.

The BaseX setup uses BaseX 9.3.3, XML Resolver 1.2, and Saxon HE 9.9.1-7.

Passing the XML directly to xslt:transform does not use the XML Catalog for
parsing the XM. I've tried making the first parameter of xslt:transform a path
to a XML file, an xs:anyURI pointing to the XML file, or string containing the
XML. Each time the XML fails to parse due to the non-working URI in the system
literal. When I change the system literal to a URI that works the
transformation works and the unparsed-entity-uri() function produces the
expected file name for the href attribute.

I also tried parsing the XML using doc() or fetch:xml() first and then using
the parsed XML as the first parameter of xslt:transform(). The doc() or
fetch:xml does use the XML Catalog to parse the XML. However,
unparsed-entity-uri() function produces an empty string because the DTD
information is no longer available.

Hoping to be able to spot the problem I looked through the BaseX code.
XsltTransform is using CatalogWrapper to set a URIResolver, but is not setting
an EntityResolver. SAXWrapper is using CatalogWrapper to set an EntityResolver
before parsing XML. It looks like this should work, but it's not.

The next alternative is to pre-process the XML using a regular expression to
replace the non-working URI in the DOCTYPE system literal with a working URI
prior to xslt:transform(). This works, but it seems like this is just working
around a problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a better solution?

Thanks,
Vincent

Vincent M. Lizzi
Head of Information Standards | Taylor & Francis Group
530 Walnut St., Suite 850, Philadelphia, PA 19106
E-Mail: vincent.li...@taylorandfrancis.com
Phone: 215-606-4221
Web: www.tandfonline.com

Taylor & Francis is a trading name of Informa UK Limited,
registered in England under no. 1072954

Information Classification: General