Dear all,

First off: BaseX is great to work with. I use it for a few statically
generated websites.

But I recently found what might be a bug.

Some whitespace vanishes when loading xml files. E.g. this xml file:

```test.xml
```

run like this:

doc('test.xml')

gives:

But running this:

```
```

retains the whitespace.

I've tested this with BaseX 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 9.4.6.

Running this in saxon-he-10.3.jar retains the whitespace.

I can work around this issue by placing xml:space="preserve" in the document
element.

I cannot come up with a scenario in which discarding whitespace during is
parsing is ok when no DTD or XML Schema is provided.

Best regards,
Jos