There are a lot of people using SVG, and SVG is the only "real" vector graphics
standard that exist*, almost all browsers except one has SVG support in one
form or another (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and so on), Microsoft will off
course do everything they can to avoid having to support SVG and it was a bit
nasty of Adobe to stop supporting the SVG plugin though.

But if you  take a look at the number of people complaining about the lack of
SVG support in IE I think you will find SVG to be pretty well alive and kicking
at the moment.

I know a lot of people that refuse to install Silverlight just for the simple
reason that they are so tired of getting the "Would you like to install
silverlight" popping up when ever you get close to any of Microsofts websites.

Flash is a pretty different beast compared to SVG, they have the advantage that
flash is installed on almost all computers that exist but flash does not do the
same
thing as SVG and the other way around, depending on the type of application you
might want to use flash instead of SVG or the other way around.

Javascript can do a lot of neat stuff but getting it to work on all browsers is
a pain in the lower regions.

* yes there is stuff like CGM but that is pretty dead today, and WMF/EMF is not
a standard with any one but MS.