Can you check whether the resulting PDF just includes an image of the SVG (or maybe an image per text segment). I would expect the rasterizer to do that.

You can achieve what you want using FOP. Then you will get text. There are some samples in examples/fo/svg of the FOP source. With the current FOP trunk you can even configure the fonts used in the SVG text so that they are used instead of letting AWT map them to some system font.