I found the solution, for those who might encounter the same issue. For some
reason I can't understand, if the SVGDocument doesn't have width and height,
SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_WIDTH and SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_HEIGHT are
also used to determine the area to be rasterized and not only the pixel size
of the output image.

So, if the original image is 1000 by 1000 and I want to split it into 4
tiles 500x500, the left-down tile, which can be obtained through this code:

transcoder.addTranscodingHint(SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_WIDTH, 500);
transcoder.addTranscodingHint(SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_HEIGHT, 500);
Rectangle2D rectangle = new Rectangle2D.Double(500, 500, 1000, 1000);
transcoder.addTranscodingHint(SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_AOI, rectangle);

will be blank. To have it properly rasterized, I have to use
SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_WIDTH and SVGAbstractTranscoder.KEY_HEIGHT at
least equals to 1000, which will create a jpeg file 1000x1000.

The solution is to add the width and height to the original image.