> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:59:24 +0100
> From: "Aaron Kaplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Synchronization between bbdb and mobile phone/palm pilot?
> To: bbdb-info@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:23:42 +0100, "Rodolfo Medina"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
>> As I said, phones like Nokia 6630 and Nokia N73 (and many others, likely)
>> allow to change at user's pleasure the names of the predifined labels
>
> As I said, PalmOS address and phone number fields have labels chosen
> from a fixed set that can't be changed by the user.
>
> However, in addition to the address and phone number fields, the Palm
> address book has four renameable fields, initially called Custom-1
> through Custom-4.  SyncBBDB syncs these to BBDB as notes fields, using
> the names from the Palm.  SyncBBDB creates its own field in each BBDB
> record, and among other information, this field records the mapping
> between BBDB notes fields and Palm custom fields.
>
>> So, my question is:
>> 1) can those labels be preserved in a synchronization with bbdb?
>
> See above for syncing with Palms via SyncBBDB.  I don't know anything
> about syncing with Nokias--maybe someone else can help you.
>
>> 2) is synchronization with bbdb possible also with phones or only with
>> palms?
>
> SyncBBDB only handles Palms.  I can't say anything about other sync
> programs.
>
>> 3) how does it work with palms themselves?
>
> See above.

The last time I looked, my understanding was that SyncBBDB was not
sufficiently capable for day-to-day synchronization with Palms, and
there was a bunch of discussion on a Jamie Zawinski web page about why
he didn't like the Palm DB.

Is this no longer the case?  Is SyncBBDB now fully capable?

Also, does SyncBBDB work with the full, new Palm OS 5 databases, or only
the subset of fields on the legacy OS?

I had actually given up on using BBDB about a year or so ago, in favor
of using Palm desktop, precisely because I couldn't figure out how to
manage Palm syncing....

thanks,
Robert