On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:36:41 -0500 "Roland Winkler" <wink...@gnu.org> wrote:

RW> On Sun Apr 17 2011 David Engster wrote:
>> Note that Emacs v22 doesn't have special-mode, so this change will make
>> it break on that version (or earlier, of course).

RW> What is the ELPA policy for this? I remember having seen some
RW> discussion on emacs-devel concerning ELPA support for different
RW> Emacs versions. Yet I don't know whether any consensus was ever
RW> reached.

RW> Personally, I'd be tempted to vote for a BBDB support that doesn't
RW> go too far back in Emacs history. So I'd consider v23.1 a reasonable
RW> limit.

The GNU ELPA is only intended for Emacs 24 and higher.  Users can
manually install package.el and add the GNU ELPA repository, but that's
their choice.  So as far as the GNU ELPA, you don't need to support
anything differently from what you do now, and people using Emacs 23.x
can install BBDB in other ways, e.g. through el-get.

Based on experience with Gnus, I'd say supporting Emacs 23.x and XEmacs
is already a lot of work, so don't support Emacs 22.

Ted