Steven Arntson <ste...@stevenarntson.com> writes:

> Emacs 24.3.1 BBDB 20140515.806
>
> I've been using BBDB with great success for a few months, but tonight it
> has stopped working. I was changing with some settings for org-agenda,
> trying to get BBDB to send info on anniversaries. I'm not sure if it was
> this or something else ... I've tried to revert those changes, but now
> I'm just confused. When I try to retrieve a record in the bbdb buffer
> with M-x bbdb, the output is "No records matching (string)". Completion
> of email addresses in gnus is no longer working, either.
>
> My .bbdb is in ~/.emacs.d/.bbdb, and all the data in there seems ok.
>
> In my .emacs I have:
>
> ;; ==== bbdb ====
> (require 'bbdb)
> ;;Tell bbdb about your email address:
> (setq bbdb-user-mail-names
>       (regexp-opt '("ste...@stevenarntson.com")))
> ;;cycling while completing email addresses
> (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
> ;;No popup-buffers
> (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
>
> And in my .gnus a little more:
>
> ;;newer specs for v.3+
> (require 'bbdb-autoloads)
>   (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
>   (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus)
>   (setq bbdb-file "~/.emacs.d/.bbdb")
>
>   (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
>   ;; control pop-up and its size
>   (setq bbdb-message-pop-up nil)
>
>   ;; What do we do when invoking bbdb interactively
>   (setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
>
>   ;; Make sure we look at every address in a message and not only the
>   ;; first one
>   (setq bbdb-message-all-addresses t)
>   (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-mail-aliases)
>
>   (require 'bbdb-anniv) ; BBDB 3.x this gets birthdays in org agenda
>                       ; and diary - clever stuff
>
> (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I'd appreciate any
> advice, for I'm quickly discovering how paralyzed I am without this
> utility! :)

Hi Steve,

This is what I currently have in init.el for bbdb 3 - I'm using John
Wiegely's wonderful use-package.el nowadays, but I'm sure you can weed
out the useful stuff.   Note especially

1. The added argument to bbdb-initialize

2. The absence of (require 'bbdb-anniv) - no longer necessary.

Then if you add the 'anniversary:' field to a record thus

anniversary: 17/02/1997 Discovered Gnus! Life began!

that should show up in the org agenda - though you may need to restart emacs.

;;;; BBDB and BBDB-ext
;; Now at version 3
(use-package  bbdb
:config
  (progn
    (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'anniv)
    (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus)
  (setq bbdb-file "~/.emacs.d/.bbdb")

  (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
  ;; control pop-up and it's size
  (setq bbdb-mua-pop-up t)
  (setq bbdb-mua-pop-up-window-size 0.1)
  (setq bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p '(query . create))
  (setq bbdb-message-all-addresses t)
  (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-mail-aliases)
  (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'bbdb-anniv-diary-entries)
  ))
  (use-package  bbdb-ext
  :defer t)

Good luck!