On Apr 29 2015, Nikolaus Rath <nikol...@rath.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to have bbdb3 automatically update the records in some
> (but not all) Gnus (imap) groups?
>
> I tried writing a custom function for bbdb-mua-auto-update-p whose
> return value depends on the active group  but I've had no luck (it seems
> this variable is just completely ignored).

Glyn figured out the problem (see other thread). With
bbdb/gnus-update-records-p set to nil, I can set bbdb-mua-auto-update-p
to something like

defun my-bbdb-select-message ()
  "Add people to bbdb when in certain groups."
  (cond ((string-match "^nnimap:INBOX" gnus-newsgroup-name)
         (bbdb-select-message))
        ((eq major-mode 'message-mode)
         (bbdb-select-message))
        (t