And half an hour after sending this message, I've solved the problem.

For future reference or the curious, the correct configuration for
this situation is:
Site path on server: ~Username/newsite.dev/
Default page name: index.php
Local site root: ~/Sites/newsite.dev
Preview server URL: http://localhost/

Anyway, I'm glad to have this working. BBEdit gets more useful the
more effort you put into understanding its advanced features.

gr.





On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Gabriel Roth <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm using OS X 10.6.4 and BBEdit 9.5.1.
>
> I use OS X's built-in Apache server to test and develop PHP sites on
> my local machine. My setup goes like this:
> -- create a new folder in ~/Sites called newsite.dev
> -- edit my .hosts file to redirect requests for http://newsite.dev to 
> localhost
> -- edit /etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf to send those requests to
> ~/Sites/newsite.dev
> -- restart Apache in Sharing Preferences.
>
> All this works fine. When I type 'http://newsite.dev' in a browser's
> location bar, I see my site, with PHP running properly.
>
> Now I want to preview this site using BBEdit's Preview feature. But I
> can't figure out how to configure the web site in BBEdit Preferences
> ... no matter how I set the site path and preview server, it always
> displays, "The requested URL /some/path/to/index.php was not found on
> this server."
>
> The 'HTML Web Sites' section of the BBEdit manual says, "if you want
> to use virtual domains, need to enable PHP, etc., you will need to
> modify the Apache config file for your system. Such configurations are
> not directly supported through the HTML Web Site preferences." I don't
> know if this means that there's no way to do what I'm trying to do, or
> if there is some way to do it outside the HTML Web Site preferences,
> or if that warning just applies to running PHP itself and doesn't
> apply to previewing in BBEdit.
>
> If there's no way to do what I'm trying to do, then I'm unclear on the
> purpose of the 'Use Local Preview Server' option.
>
> (In general, the HTML Web Sites feature is one of the few parts of
> BBEdit that seems to me poorly documented.)
>
> Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
>
> gr.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.

Reply via email to