Hi,

Am 28.10.2010 um 28, 21:18 schrieb Govinda:

> (?s)(<!--[^-]*?)-+([^-]*?-->)
> works great except that comments where the number of extra hyphens,
> like so:
> "<!---  some notes here --->", or
> "<!----  some notes here ---->"
> are not found.

If I understand this right, you are looking for extra hyphens in the opening
and closing tags (I don't think these extra hyphens are illegitimate
specificationwise but I'm not quite sure about that). Anyway, you could capture
these by extending the pattern like this:

search
(?s)<!-{2,}([^-]*?)-+([^-]*?)-{2,}>

replace with

Comments nested completely in other comments (as seen in one of your examples)
are a totally different beast. Please be aware that nested comments will break
the above search pattern as it would break the second comment opening in
something like
<!-- bla <!-- nested blabla --> more bla -->

Maybe I'll think a little more on the nested problem. But right now I don't
have enough time on my hand.

Regards,
Roland