At 13:18 -0600 4/16/11, Doug McNutt wrote:
>At 10:15 -0700 4/16/11, JRC wrote:
>>Can I use BBEdit to a file's permission and/or ownership after I am
>>done editing it ?
>>
>>I have used BBEdit to make a small revision to a file and then saved
>>it. Now I am trying to change its permissions and ownership. I am
>>curious to learn if I can use BBEdit for this task instead of
>>Terminal.
>
>
>You can surely do it with a BBEdit worksheet. The command would be:
>
>SetFile -t  TYPE -c creator  PathToFile
>
>Type and creator must be exactly 4 8-bit characters and quoting may be 
>required to get that from your shell.  You'll also need the tool which comes 
>with Apple's Developer Tools. It's OK to have just the SetFile tool if it's in 
>your $PATH somewhere.  There is also GetFileInfo for the reverse.
>
>And the tool names are case sensitive even on case insensitive disks. It's 
>because of the way the shell works.
>


And I realize now that I may have misread your intentions.

Permissions are changes with the chmod tool. chown changes the owner - user - 
of the file. chgrp changes the group.

You may need to be a superuser to do chown and or chgrp. That's done with a 
line like

sudo chown newowner FilePath

But. . . BBEdit worksheets don't handle sudo very well because you have to 
enter a password.  I have been known to place my password in my home directory 
as the contents of a file with a closing return. Then in a worksheet you can 
redirect input:

sudo chown newowner FilePath < $HOME/mypassword

That's a violation of everything secure. Don't do it with a machine on the net 
with anything important on it.
-- 

--> From the U S of A, the only socialist country that refuses to admit it. <--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
<http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en>
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>

Reply via email to