> Right.  I explained that already.  Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear?
No it was fine. It just took a bit to sink in ;-)

> I also explained that the major problem remaining is that clippings EAT
> trailing whitespace even if they themselves CONTAIN whitespace.  That takes a
> little working around; the script appended does so.
I ran into something that must have been that in one of my attempts.

I REALLY appreciate your appended script. I'm reading through it now
to see if I can sort out what it's doing. The language constructs are
foreign to me, but I should be able to puzzle through the logic.

Thanks again,