At 08:17 a -0800 01/17/2012, dmayo2 didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

Hello.
I've recently move to mac from windows and I'm trying to find the best
editor, and I really like what I see in bbedit, with one seemingly
glaring omission:

This is what I could do over on my other system, and can't seem to
figure out how to do it here. I have a project set up where you tell
the program the directory of local files, and the matching directory
on a remote server. You provide any and all config options like ip
address, passwords, etc. Then you can load the project, open a file to
work on, save it (the local file) and the program does that as well as
saving the file remotely.

I see that BBEdit will save files in a directory with today's date,
which seems like it's trying to be an SVN of sorts, and at other times
it seems to add a date to the file name itself. I've tried opening
from the ftp and saving. I've tried opening a local, then saving local
and immediately saving again to ftp, but that's where the extra
characters seem to show up.

Extra characters? Oh, you mean the date on the backup file?

Am I missing something?

Well, BBEdit isn't really a CVS/SVN program itself, though I believe it can work with 3rd party ones.

I once wrote a script to edit remote files via [s]ftp (keeping track of multiple servers and passwords in a relational textfile database), but it doesn't sync with local files. I could probably add that feature... and maybe I should for myself too, hehehe. :-)

-Walter