Bruce Van Allen wrote:
1. BBEdit windows DO split vertically -- if what that means is showing two different areas of the same file, one above the other in the same window, both scrollable, editable, etc.
I suspect what the original poster meant was a split running vertically, i.e., the split divides the window into left and right halves, not top and bottom halves, and you can show two separate files side-by-side there or even have two completely distinct tab groups in each pane. You can approximate this in BBEdit by simply having two windows, of course, but it's not quite the same user experience.

(On the flip side, while Sublime Text *can* do that, it can't do the equivalent of BBEdit's pane split as simply/easily as BBEdit does. There are tradeoffs everywhere, I suppose.)