On 11/12/2012 04:33, Troy Gillette wrote:

We have several million lines of code from the last ten years. C, C++, Objective-C, Ruby, Python, XML, numerous others... Nothing in our process cares whether anything ends in LF or CR+LF, but BBEdit does.

I think, in contrast to some others, that you have a good point. And the point is that BBEdit, having determined, by a test of the first line or so, that the line-endings are one byte then proceeds to convert each individual \r or \n into the default line-ending. In my case that is \n and a mixed document such as you are talking of, will end up with \n\n where there was \r\n and there is no way to distinguish in BBEdit between what was a DOS line end and what was a blank line.

So the only way to resolve the problem is to regularize the line endings before BBEdit gets its hands on the doc. The best way to do this, it strikes me, is to run all the files through a UNIX or Perl filter in one go, converting every line-end byte or pair to \n and get rid of the problem at source once and for all. This is very easy to do.

On the other hand I do think it is something that BBEdit should do automatically, because it makes no sense to convert \r\n to \n\n, as now can happen, under any circumstances.

JD