On 2013-03-19 at 5:15 PM, he...@wideopenwest.com (Herbert Schulz) wrote:
An incremental search searches and finds AS YOU TYPE YOUR SEARCH
rather than waiting until you press Return after entering the full
search term.

Thanks. So this happens when you're typing your search into a find dialog? And then you jump back to your text to edit? When the incremental search searches and finds as you type, is the found text *selected* or just color highlighted?

Whether one might want this seems like a work-style difference among some of us. When I can, I disable search systems that start providing guesses as soon as I type, just as I don't use BBEdit's auto-complete (I think it was MS Word that provided my original pain with this misfeature.)

But I suppose plenty must like this behavior...

I do a huge amount of searching, especially "find the next instance of the selected text" without ever opening the find dialog -- just command keys. And Quick Find will visually identify all instances if I need to see them all at once. Even replacements can be set via the keyboard. I turn to the find dialog mostly when I need to compose a regular expression for a search, and/or specify a complicated replacement.

Barebones is very responsive to feature requests, especially if they understand your "use case" and get a clear description of the behavior you want. And some of us totally-mind-clamped BBEditors will grumpily speak up and say "Sure, go ahead and request that (weird|crazy|discredited|younger-than-me) feature -- no prob as long as it can be optional."

Best Regards,

  - Bruce

_bruce__van_allen__santa_cruz_ca_

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BBEdit Talk" group.