On Mar 29, 2013, at 8:14 PM, MikeC <mi...@caseyspm.com> wrote:

> I seldom use BB Edit so I am a novice.
>
> Would someone please provide code for placing .jpg at the end of hundreds of
> file names in a single folder.
>
> Example: Folder A contains files:
> ATH01
> ATH02
> ATH03
> BKJ01
> and so on.

This isn't really a job for BBEdit, which works on the contents of files, not
on file names or directory contents. However, it's an ideal application for
Automator.

Start Automator. It should ask you what you want to create. (If it doesn't,
type Cmd-N.)

Make sure the Actions option is selected in the top left of the Automator
window. Click Files&Folders in the left column, and a list of Finder actions
will appear in the second

If this is a one-off task:
Drag the folder you want to operate on into the right-side pane, and a "Get
Specified Finder Items" action will appear with your folder in it. (The output
of this action is the folder.)
Drag the "Get Folder Contents" action under it. (This takes the folder as its
input, and its output is all the files in the folder.)
Drag the "Rename Finder Items" action under it. (This takes the collection of
files as its input, and renames each of them. Its output is the same set of
files, but you aren't going to use the output.)
In the Rename action box, choose "Add Text" from the top dropdown menu.
In the "Add:" field, type ".jpg".
Choose "As extension" from the dropdown menu to the right.
Now you can just click the Run button in the toolbar, and you're done.

To create a reusable workflow, change the first step. Instead of dragging the
folder into the workflow, drag the "Ask for Finder Items" action from the
second column. After you've added all three actions to the workflow, save it.
Now you can run it just like any program; when it runs, it will put up a dialog
box that will let you choose the folder.

Have fun,

        Neil Faiman