I'm pretty sure this simple shell script would fail for any content that
contained a double-quote character, since it would prematurely end the "$1"
structure.

External shell scripts for BBEdit as of this writing don't use this sort of
$1 logic anyway, and consequently don't pass anything on to gpg:

* Unix Script Output.log:
cat: : No such file or directory
gpg: processing message failed: Unknown system error

Any more robust ideas?  Really need something like this, ideally working as
a Service inside any any app, but a BBEdit script or plugin would be better
than nothing.  The old MacPGP (in OS 9) could encrypt to/from the Mac OS
clipboard.  But MacGPG 2 (OS X's current GPGTools port, as of this writing)
can't do this; it only has Services for acting on entire files, and these
don't even seem to work unless you are in the Finder rather than in some
app like BBEdit.  Yes, I'm aware that there are various GPG plugins for
specific e-mail apps, including Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird and MS
Entourage, but that's not really sufficient.  Need to be able to do GPG
inside BBEdit text files.