On Nov 11, 2015, at 14:32, TJ Luoma <luo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BUT THEN I decided that I wanted it to automatically save, but that never
> seemed to work _until_ I got a little sneaky.
>
> I used `zsh's` ability to fork and abandon a sub-shell using ( this ) &|

Hey TJ,

Interesting.  I wonder if that can be done in Bash 4.x.

> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin

Not necessary for normal usr commands.

> cat "$@" | sed 's# *$##; s#   *$##'

BBEdit provides the file internally for the given command, so cat is not needed.

#!/bin/zsh

read -r -d '' bbeditScript <<'EOF'
tell application "BBEdit"
        tell front document
                if on disk = true then
                        tell it to save
                end if
        end tell
end tell
EOF

sed -E 's![[:blank:]]+$!!';
osascript -e "$bbeditScript" &|

> The only downside seems to be that the cursor/insertion point moves when it
> runs. I don't know how to avoid that. IF anyone else does, or has a better
> way of doing this, please let me know.

Look at the environment variables on p. 318 of the BBEdit user manual.

You can discover a number of things about the selection and restore it using
the same AppleScript you save the document with.

Or you can go pure AppleScript which will not affect the selection.

tell application "BBEdit"
  tell front text document
    tell its text to replace "[[:blank:]]+$" using "" options {search
mode:grep, starting at top:true}
    if its on disk = true then save it
  end tell
end tell