Hello folks,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but I have been very sick and
had to go to bed.

At any rate, I just bit the bullet and redid everything from scratch using
backup copies of the original 1256 files.

To provide more details, the link that I broke in each of those files, pointed
to the next chapter in a book in the Bible.

In other words, each HTML document had previous and next links. I broke the
next links with that one small oversight while performing the final multi-file
find and replace.

If the link had pointed to the same page, it would have been very easy to fix
using the #BASENAME# placeholder, and a nifty little shell script that my
friend Jim Derry wrote for me.

So the fact that the contents of the broken link varied from file to file, made
it seem impossible to fix.

I wonder if there is some “magical” #BASENAME# +1 script that would look at the
actual number in the file name of the file it was working on, and then replace
the #BASENAME# placeholder with the name of the next file in sequence.

Of course, in that case, even this would not work, because sometimes going to
the next chapter means going to the opening chapter of a different book
entirely.

Thank you to those of you who took the time to respond to my inquiry. I
appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Bill K.