> On Oct 19, 2017, at 9:09, Patrick Woolsey <pwool...@barebones.com> wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there was a recommended Applescript development workflow
>> in BBEdit ?
>> (I'm also using SD and sometimes Script Editor, so I know how it works there)
>
> If you mean writing and running AppleScript within BBEdit, then there is not,
> and I use Script Debugger for that purpose myself (though I will occasionally
> copy the contents of a script into BBEdit for some quick searching &
> replacement before pasting it back :-).

I remember when I started using Script Debugger that I felt it would be hard to
have a "proper" development workflow (whatever that actually means for me...)
without version control, and I started a thread on the SD forum about that, the
conclusion being that as long as you work with compiled scripts (and SD needs
to compile to get proper syntax coloring), there is no way to do version
control since scripts are binary blobs.

Until today, just a few minutes before I posted here, when I realized that I
could work with text .applescript files in SD, and run them for testing etc.
version control them and create a compiled version for "real" use. Honestly, I
don't know why it took me so long to realize that.

In the meanwhile I erred on the Emacs side where they have a (sadly slightly
outdated) applescript mode that does *everything* in Emacs, by accessing
osacompile etc. Hence the possibility to work in a real text editing
environment and still work with Applescript.

I've never actually used BBEdit for much more than regex search/replacements
(and I can't praise your manual enough on that subject :) so I was wondering if
there were ways to use the tools provided to create some kind of "applescript
mode" for BBEdit...

Jean-Christophe