On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 6:53:44 AM UTC-8, Rich Siegel wrote:

> On 11/16/17 at 1:31 AM, reflec...@gmail.com <javascript:> (Everywhere is
> Nowhere) wrote:
>
> >So let's say I want to implement something like ctags lookup
> >for C/C++ programs in BBEdit... [...]
>
> WAYRTTD?

Jump to definitions similar to what vi/vim does with CTAGs,
and/or do an OpenGrok search for the term, which would be extremely
powerful, and something you might want to consider as a leading edge
feature in some soon release ;-)

> There are many ways to accomplish this. :-)

I'm feeling better already

> BBEdit already has ctags lookup built in (try right-clicking on
> something that's been colored with the ctags color, or select it

and use "Find Definition" on the Search menu).

Does it work over sftp? I imagine not, but wouldn't that be a cool trick?
Fortunately in my current gig/dev modality I can instead NFS share the code
tree
and edit over NFS instead of SFTP so may try that.

> There's also Dash support for "Find in Reference", as well as
> the "reference URL" (which can be configured per-language in the
> Preferences.

Hmmmmmmmm I missed that. Is that my ticket to OpenGrok lookups? Only
problem there
is that OpenGrok has different search types "Full Search", "Definition",
"Symbol", ... so being
limited to a single URL might be a bit limiting.

> You could also write a macOS "Service", which will then appear
> on the contextual menu (BBEdit 12 and later) which does whatever
> you need.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Some things to explore. Thanks!
Paul