Broadly speaking, BBEdit doesn't color quite as extravagantly as Atom. This
is out-of-the-box BBEdit Dark, showing a piece of Python:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jdtgZlrCg-k/WoIQpwhAOdI/AAAAAAAABBQ/8B0j8XIwWqshYzEtklYzJip-4aBWvGkzwCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2018-02-12%2Bat%2B5.08.47%2BPM.png>

def is a language keyword, as is the decorator; and the single string is
colored. However BBEdit doesn't know anything about Python _per se_ so it
doesn't know that show() is a function name, or list_of_items is a
variable. So they're just regular text.

That said: if you do 'bbedit --maketags' on the command line, you get a
ctags file created, and now it looks like this:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NkxUCG9QsZM/WoIRZLNZcgI/AAAAAAAABBY/4avmEaTF15sr1hWXJJNgc7AiQtMBz1jjwCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2018-02-12%2Bat%2B5.12.25%2BPM.png>

Which is closer to what you probably want. I don't like ctags coloring most
of the time, I think it over-does it on detecting symbols:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X0RhzA1WvGc/WoIRogvmIHI/AAAAAAAABBc/dqBb233tUzEjtlPNydrRnrFd3WnqC9EGQCLcBGAs/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2018-02-12%2Bat%2B5.13.36%2BPM.png>

But to each their own.

Hope that helps,