I had the same sort of requirement recently, and made a codeless language
module for it.

The good news is that you can, with only a bit of XML, get yourself some
coloured comments. The bad news is that you have to use a custom file type, and
if you are using Markdown then you probably want to be using the Markdown file
type.

Also codeless langauge modules have other restrictions, like not being able to
do folding ... which was a pain for me, but maybe not for you?

David