This happened on a Mojave machine.

Yes, it also has zsh.

However, I've been using bash for 25 years, and Apple's choice isn't my
own. There are some subtle incompatibilities between bash and zsh.

All my machines have the current GPL 3 version of bash installed via
MacPorts.

I do have a non-production machine running Catalina, where I have enabled
zsh. Needless to say, I have to rebuild all preference files...

--
Marius Schamschula